"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, November 30, 2009

Big Brother T.J.

On another positive note, T.J. has really turned a corner on being a big brother. He talks about Jiliang ever day, and plans all of the things that he is going to do with her and show her. He understands that she will speak Mandarin (Chinese), so his job is to tell her what things mean in English. He is excited about being a teacher and has been role-modeling it for me. He is also excited about having a playmate, and I pray that they will offer each other that. Just a few weeks ago, he suddenly realized that she was going to be a reality, and he was afraid of what that would mean for him. He was really nervous about sharing his mom and dad, but especially concerned about sharing his grandparents! That has changed drastically, and he has come to understand that he doesn't have to give any up the people he loves, or the special traditions, like camping with Papa Harvey or truck and tractor rides with Dad. He is pretty happy about not having to shop for girl things with Mom, but knows that we will still make cookies together and read Johnny Tractor books together. He has learned to spell "Jiliang", and is excited to learn about the Great Wall of China.
T.J. is aware that I was 5 years old when I got a little sister (Leah), and he likes to hear stories about my little sister - the naughty stories of how I was jealous of her when my Grandma Donna came to see my newborn sister and I poured water on her diaper; and the heartwarming stories of how my little sister and I curled up and waited for Santa Claus together on Christmas Eve, only to wake our parents at 5:00 a.m., begging to check our stockings and presents under the tree.
T.J.'s Kindergarten teacher agreed to celebrate his official "Big Brother" status at school when the adoption is official. The talk of the celebration initiated his positive 180 degrees on the whole adoption scene. I will be sending in Bugs On A Sunbutter Log or something that day. LOL :)

No comments:

Post a Comment