"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, December 20, 2010

Jiliang is Getting her Dora Hair tomorrow! And More Christmas Blessings

Yeah! Jili is really excited about heading to South Rockwood, Michigan tomorrow to get her "Dorla" hair. Afterwards, we are heading to Sears to have Christmas pictures taken of T.J. and Jili.
I know that I have been neglecting my blog lately. We have had a lot of family changes and chaos around our household (including a job change for me), but all on a thankful and positive note (except for the part where my son dropped my laptop and knocked out my hard drive). I do promise, however, to post pictures on Wednesday, to showcase Jili's long-awaited hair. She is so excited!
On another positive note, Jili had a great report at her last cardiology appointment in December. She is doing awesome and we were able to eliminate one of her heart medications. The repair to her heart is looking very, very good; and the pressures to her lungs may only be slightly elevated, but very close to Normal! That was such wonderful news. In turn, it was a positive experience for her as well, because at bedtime she said, "Mom, I had fun at the doctor's today. I want to go back two more times."
Jili is really blossoming in every way. Her English comprehension is great and she speaks in lengthy, complex sentences. I love it when she answers a question with, "Well, actually..." or when she tries to negotiate something.
Halloween was well-received by Jili. She had no qualms about Trick-or-Treating in the dark. We did, however, work our way up from daytime to nighttime trick-or-treating.
Thanksgiving was very low-key. We did the whole turkey and fixings on Wednesday, since Scott had to work on Thanksgiving. Thursday, we had dinner with my family; and Friday, we met up with my friend Jessica and her family. Jili was a little quiet at first, but quickly warmed around the other children. It was quite a large crowd of over 2 dozen people and she eventually mingled in well. We admired her social progress. However, when Scott mentioned to the kids that we were leaving, Jili asked, "Dad, where I go?" It broke Scott's heart to think that she was still concerned with us leaving her, or always wondering when her permanence in our family might come to an end. Of course, he said, "You're coming home with us Baby!"
After that, we spent a lot of time talking about "Jili's house" and who lived here, and that none of us were ever leaving. Somehow, the turning point was Christmas. Putting up the Christmas tree, seeing her China picture on an ornament, and hanging her stocking helped her to see that she belonged here. We have really turned a huge corner on her sense of security, and Jili has really established herself as a part of this household this Christmas season, which really makes my heart soar.
She did make an observation about her Christmas ornament from her China referral picture from last year. "Mom, why I not smiling in this picture?" I tried to tell her that it was taken when she was in China, before I brought her home, and before she met us. I asked, "Were you happy in China?" She retorted, "No, I happy! I no go back to China!" Clearly, I didn't communicate that well, because she only heard "China" and feared of going back. T.J. translated it better. He walked up and said, "You were not smiling, because you were in Chi--na. You had no Ma-ma and no Da-da. You were sad. Now, you live here with Ge-Ge (Chinese for Big Brother), Mom and Dad." Clearly, she understood T.J.'s words, and would later retell his words to her dad, her grandma and her Aunt Leah with every reason to smile in the present.
The other new thing is that Jili is starting to become a Daddy's Girl. Yes, she melts Scott with every cute face, every new discovery, and every tear shed. She has really warmed up to her dad, who has waited so patiently for her to open up to him in her own timing.
Things are going very well and we feel extremely blessed this Christmas season. We had a family gathering at my cousin Kristy's house this past Saturday. Jili arrived and in no time she was mingling with the folks she knows very well as "Family". She disappeared into the basement with T.J. and her older cousin Gracie, who is like a big sister to Jili. After we got home, she said, "Mom, I had a good time at Gracie's house. Next time, I want to bring my pajamas and sleep there." Wow, that is a huge 180! She is understanding that she is a part of a something forever: A Family who loves her unconditionally - and that is the greatest Christmas gift of all.
Thank you for keeping Jiliang in your hearts and prayers! We feel very blessed this Christmas season. May you witness God's love in your life, the True meaning of Christmas, this Christmas and always.
Jill :)

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful news about Jiliang's heart appointment. I'll be eager to hear about her new hair too. Continued blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to read this update. We look forward to the pictures tomorrow. Merry Christmas to you all - a fabulous one for both of our families this year!! Ella Man Li, Heather & Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see an update from you, and can't wait to see the Dora hair-what a great Christmas gift! It's also great to see that she is feeling secure. You can probably expect that fear of impermanence to resurface every now and then, but don't be surprised if it's followed by a fascination with all things Chinese.

    Happy Holidays,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers offered - and may you have all the joy you can stand this Christmas!!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete