Two years ago today, I met our daughter for the first time. She was so scared when we met and there were some tears shed, because she didn't know what having a Mommy was all about. After 6 hours, she finally smiled for me, and it was a beautiful smile. We bonded forever in a mere six hours, but admittedly she had me at first glance. She managed to melt the hearts of our entire family more and more as each day passed.
Jiliang loved having a new family so much that she stayed very close to us that first year, afraid that she might lose us. She refused to look at or speak to adults for several months. Many people thought she didn't speak. Daily reassurances that she was a permanent part of our family and our hearts were regular occurances in our household.
Yet, somehow over the last few months she has come to trust that she is a part of a forever family. That is a huge step for Jiliang. She has transformed into a secure, sweet, vibrant and funny little girl. And she has her Dad's matter-of-factness. I love that she knows how much she means to us, but it doesn't stop us from telling her all the time. Her hugs, kisses and "I-love-yous" are given generously.
This past December, she drew a handprint turkey with T.J. in my tummy and with her in my heart – yes, I was the turkey. Then, we shared a special conversation about her adoption and how she was found. “Mom,” she said, “it sounds like, maybe, magic.” I told her that when God is involved, it is called a Miracle.
Jiliang does not remember a lot about China, but we do our best to preserve her heritage. We recently attended a large Chinese New Year's Celebration at a college in Ann Arbor. It was very festive and authentic, that I almost felt like a foreigner in China - but in a good way. My sister went to San Francisco recently, and attended their Chinese New Year parade. It was so much fun to see the photographs and soak up my daughter's culture; and to realize how the ties to her homeland have transformed our extended family in the matters of Chinese cultural appreciation.
T.J. and Jiliang are absolutely best friends. T.J. recently told my dad that he feels like he has known Jiliang forever. My dad asked him if he remembered when he did not want a little sister. He laughed, because he could not imagine not having his little sister in his life.
This past weekend, both children were sick with a bad flu. T.J. got the worst of it. It started on Thursday. Both children seemed to be better on Sunday, so we all went to see a matinee (Big Miracle). Monday, T.J. got sick again, so I quarantined him to his room. He begged to play with Jili. Jili was relentless. She kept finding excuses to tiptoe past his room and check on him, or see if he needed anything. By afternoon, I gave in. T.J. felt better, and they were inseparable.
I can honestly vouch that life is better with our daughter in it. It's hard to imagine a life of not knowing Jiliang (Gao) Josephine Koeppe. And all of the times that I felt a longing for my daughter in China, when I reasoned that she was probably not born yet, my heart knew. I can speak for our entire family - Life is blessed with Jili in it.
Happy Two Year Anniversary Sweet Girl! We love you!
Mommy, Daddy, T.J., and your doting entourage of extended family
~And we can't forget Bear Bear, Ollie Cat and Goldie Goldfish
To view Jili's Journey from China to Michigan, click on the photo at the top of my blog or go to this link: http://thekoeppefamily.blogspot.com/2011/10/updated-china-video-with-added-pictures.html
I had to earn her first smile.
It's hard to believe that my baby was wearing all of these clothes on "Gotcha" Day.
Jiliang Today: (Chinese New Year at WCC in Ann Arbor & Ice Sculptures in Tecumseh, MI)








Just a little China memory. It makes my heart smile when I hear her speak in Chinese.
This video was taken a day after we met - The Official Adoption Day - when she was afraid she was going back to the Aunties and cried. They were shocked, because she rejected me at the Gotcha moment the day before. She relaxed when they told her that she was going to be with her Mom forever, and she came alive for them, and started to giggle and play with them.
In the video, you can hear her breathing hard, which was from her uncorrected heart defect. We are blessed in so many ways.


No comments:
Post a Comment