Here's a quick update for Friends and Family on the status of Jili's Tonsilectomy and Adenoidectomy. Jili went into to the new Mott's Children's Hospital for surgery last Thursday. Everything went really well. Jili was kept overnight, due to her cardiac condition. She came through the surgery just fine. By Thursday night, she was eating eggs and macaroni and cheese. The nurse was astounded. Right after surgery, she became a little nauseous. They gave her some medication, and then she was so fine, that she ate a lot of food. My kid is tough.
The new Mott's room was wonderful. We got the 12th floor penthouse with the best view in the hospital (so we were told by many), and the biggest (1 of 10 out of many, many rooms with an actual pull-out couch). The room had a flat screen with many movies and activities, and it had Jili's name on it. It also had surround sound.
We had a visit from some U of M athletes, and had pizza (Thursday nights are the best). The Child Life Department provided Jili with paints and several wood items to paint. She was pretty busy. All of our nurses were really wonderful and sweet.
Jili complained of no pain that evening, but during the night she sleep so fitful and loud, due to the swelling. She was coughing a lot, so I couldn't sleep at all. The night nurse laughed, because every time she would come into the room, I would sit up, even in the dark, and give a Jili update. The night nurse later said, "I was tiptoeing and trying to be quiet". I assured her that despite all efforts, I just couldn't sleep.
For the morning report (around 6:30 a.m.), a female doctor came in with two residents. I had only been asleep for about an hour and half, so I just layed there in the dark, looking up at her, half-asleep. She asked how Jili was doing and I said, "She's doing great." Then, I said, "No, wait, she tossed, turned and coughed until 4:30 a.m." Then, it dawned on me that I was talking in my sleep. After the doctor's report, I realized that I was being rude, and I acknowledged that I should be sitting up talking to her. She laughed, knowing that I was half-asleep, and told me to get some rest. I was finally able to update her about Jili's successes. It was all a blur. Before we came home, Jili did some art in the Child Life Department.
Once we arrived home on Friday, she was ready to ride her bike, and was not too happy about sitting still. She but still managed to overdo it a little on Friday, so on Saturday, we went to the library and played some games to keep her busy.
Sunday was our worst day. She was sick, so we actually missed Easter Sunday Church service. Fortunately, the on-call doctor called in an anti-nausea medication, which was a lifesaver. Today, she slept until after noon, and she was under the weather, but she made a comeback this evening. Tonight was the first night that she slept somewhat normal, which is very good, because I go back to work tomorrow.
All in all, she is recovering really well.
Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers and emails.
Jill :)


No comments:
Post a Comment