I am working on getting my China pictures uploaded to another site, because I never did that with all of the chaos in our return home. I realized that I had not even looked at my China pictures until recently. Here are a few pictures that I really enjoyed taking.
The first few days in China was super-hectic, and I was so ready to get home with Jiliang. Running around doing all of the adoption business was stressful. I was staying in the business (banking) area of Nanjing, and there was really nothing around me except banks with guards everywhere. I remember thinking, "Well, at least I am safe." Literally, we walked around the block and there were banks, a few food places, and on the sidestreets with small vending and housing areas.
Honestly, it looked like an American City, much like Chicago. Honestly, I am not a city girl. I longed for a Starbucks though. There was a very cool, two-story grocery, but it was quite a jot, and required crossing a very busy intersection. In China, they make their own lanes and drive insane. However, I never saw a single accident the entire time that I was there. I remember thinking that I flew halfway around the world to be in a place that looked like an American city, but everyone spoke English. I longed to see the Chinese culture and pagodas.
When my guide, Fred, picked me up to begin our Nanjing sightseeing on February 23rd (2-24 in China), that is when the fun began. I could post countless pictures here, but these are a just a few - okay, more than a few.
If you understand my sense of humor, you might appreciate the humor of the subway sign rules. Fred asked what was so funny and asked if we had signs like that in America. I replied no, but that we could probably use more explicit signage in the states.
Nanjing Wall:
The Nanjing Wall was built to was built to ward off attacks from the Japanese. As a form of Quality Control, the emperor created a system in which all of the bricklayers inscribed their bricks. If their brick crumbled, the bricklayer was put to death.
Jiliang really took to my guide Fred (AKA: Uncle Fred), who was with me on Gotcha Day.
Chinese McDonalds:
Jiliang got two McDonald's toys: One was a Pucca (Chinese girl) toy and the other one was a Panda with philosophies on life inscribed all over it.
Confuscist Temple Market Photos:
Do you see the police boat in the corner? I wish I would have snapped a photo of it then. The entire time we were in China, I never saw one fire truck or fire station.
These photos are just several out of hundreds that I took during one day of sightseeing in China. I hope to upload all of my China adventures very soon. Thanks for looking.
Jill :)


Your pictures make me want to go back to China. Wow. Thanks for sharing your memories.
ReplyDeleteMorning Jill - sorry I've 'been away' for a while - but life is good (just hectic - not that you'd know anything about hectic right?)
ReplyDeleteThe pics and story's are great - brings back a lot of memories!
hugs - aus and co.