


Jili meets Dora wearing her own "Dorla" hair.
I have not been on much lately, but in the back of my mind, I have been thinking quite often, "Wow, I need to put that on my blog." I certainly do have a lot of catching up to do. The last few months have been busy, because I started a new teaching job. It has been really stressful - as any new change can be an adjustment -but very rewarding and "heart"-warming in itself.
All of the new changes in our lives this past year have left me pretty exhausted lately. There is so much that I want to say, but it's so hard to do all of the catching up. I can say that I have decided that I am going to plug away at finishing my book: Journey to Jiliang. I wrote a little a few days ago, and forgot how wonderful it felt to write again. My new goal for the book is this summer. I realized now that my original - August 2010 - goal was unrealistic and honestly, Jili's story was not complete at that point, although I did not know it at the time. So many things kept me from my goal last summer, and I felt very frustrated and defeated, but then I realized that my book would not had the proper ending if Jili's story had ended there. All in all, everything has a reason and a proper time. Therefore, I am trying to forge ahead, not look back, and be thankful for our blessings.
In lieu of all of the craziness that our household has endured this past year with the adoption paperchasing, Jili's surgery and recovery, the job change for me, and trying to make a 900 square foot house accomodate a four person household, we have decided to use the month of February - American Heart Month - to slow down, and find healthier ways to eat and de-stress. We are looking forward to some normalcy.
On a positive note, my son, T.J., was Student of the Week AND Student of the Month. He was in the local newspaper, received an award at school, and a Congratulatory letter for our State Representation, Nancy Jenkins. At my job, I have been able to see some hard work pay off. Some of my previous work experiences are helping me in my current teaching job. It's funny how sometimes, you wonder how a job or situation could possibly be what you need at the time, and then you find yourself drawing on that experience and knowledge in a later situation, and you think, "Wow, God really knew what he was doing, and just when I thought I was in limbo." So, once again, I found that no experience can ever be taken for granted. All we can do is wait patiently and faithfully until our door of opportunity presents itself.
Jili is doing really great. She can't wait to go to school. When T.J. has homework, she wants homework too. "When can I go to school, Mom?" she asks. Jili has a court date this month, to receive her Michigan Birth certificate and then she will subsequently become a U.S. citizen. It is hard to believe that February 22nd (U.S. Time) will mark her first anniversary as our daughter.
Yesterday, I took Jiliang to a children's clothing store to sell off some of her outgrown clothing and meet Dora the Explorer up close. Afterwards, I took her and T.J. to the Build-a-Bear workshop to create a furry friend. As soon as she saw Hello Kitty, she said, "Yes, I want Hello Kitty," and hugged and kissed her. She really liked making a wish on her kitty's heart, and knowing that she created this special friend. T.J. had already done it before, so he happily walked her through the process.
Scott and I are actually looking forward to doing some home updates this spring, instead of paper-chasing, worried about grim circumstances, and sitting in a hospital room. Things are looking up, and we are ready to move forward with our lives and finally, maybe, take a deep breath and a sigh of relief. This has been a tough year, but one filled with immense blessings. After we sort of debrief and readjust our lives, there comes a time to believe that good things are under way. I feel that we are both looking towards the future with hope and thankfulness.
With that said, I will leave you with a quote that I liked from Joel Osteen,which sort of brings to pass the last year of my life or our lives, so to speak:
"The moment God puts the promise in your heart, the moment the dream took root, at that same moment God established a set time to bring it to pass." Check it out at:
http://www.livedash.com/transcript/joel_osteen/2/KTVU/Sunday_December_19_2010/535154/
Joel also told a story about a man who wanted to break a record swimming a channel, but then he came upon a fog and panicked, only to find that he was 50 yards from setting a record. The lesson: Don't give up. Your circumstances may look grim or hopeless, but you never know when you are 50 yards away from your destiny.
My readers in the adoption community can relate to this; and those of you with children with heart defects or other special needs; or anyone facing hard times. Just remember to stay in faith, be positive, and know that hard times will fade and blessings will come your way.
Blessings and prayers to everyone reading!
Jill


It's so great to see an update from you! I can't believe how much Jiliang has changed in such a short time. She really looks like a big girl now. Glad the new job is working out, and that you're finding some reflective/down time in your crazy life.
ReplyDeleteRuby
Continued blessings to ALL of you. Happy heart month!
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff Jill - love seeing the update - and can't believe how well things are going!! Couldn't be happier for you guys....
ReplyDeleteGreat news about the court date too - Welcome home Jiliang!!
And when things get bumpy remember how you eat and elephant - the same way you eat anything else - just one bite at a time!
hugs - aus and co.