"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Pond...and A Special Occasion

Our little aquatic habitat is a tradition that T.J. and I started in 2007. What started out as a trial whisky barrel fish pond, slowly evolved into a spring tradition. I do need to highlight the epic Goldfish story to truly explain how one little goldfish could make us laugh so hard.
In 2007, T.J. and I purchased pond plants at Hidden Lake Gardens (in Tipton, Michigan), to create a miniature frog pond. HLK was giving away free goldfish to create the ultimate habitat, so we accepted five fish. They were then black, but the gardener told me that they would eventually turn gold. I had the whiskey barrel, liner and plants in place, and just as I was ready to add the five goldfish, I noticed that there was only four fish. I asked T.J., "Where's the fifth goldfish? There were five, and now there's only four."
T.J. replied non-chalantly, "Oh, Bear Bear ate him."
Not questioning my three-year old about his 6 month old black lab eating a goldfish, I moved on and added the "four" fish.
The following day, I opened the dryer to a putrid smell of fish - an entire load of laundry ruined - and a baked-on fish encrusted in the pocket of his jeans. Not a child to be malicious with nature or formulate a lie, I decided that he just wanted to carry one of his fishies in his pocket, but forgot about it. From this day forward, I ALWAYS check pockets before washing.
Goldie Goldfish - the last of the five pond fish - became a permanent house pet last November. When we set up the tadpoles this year, Goldie - who eventually turned into a beautiful shade of orange - stayed indoors, until...
mosquito larvae forayed our little pond. After a few cleanings, I surrendered. Enter Goldie on the scene, who left the fish tank to inhabit bigger water.
T.J., Jili and I watched as he swam around, checking to see if he would eat the larvae. Approximately 50 small tadpoles inhabitated the pond, swimming as fast as they could - away from him - as if he were a shark in shallow waters. Goldie gobbled up a tadpole, then spit it out. T.J. and Jili screamed, "Get him out, get him out, Mom. He's gonna eat our tadpoles!"
Then, he spit out the second tadpole and it swam off in haste. They protested again. Pretty soon, he left the tadpoles alone, and proceeded to eat the mosquito larvae in the container. The kids cheered and laughed in relief. The next morning, we found no sign of any mosquito spawn. Thus far, Goldie is enjoying his pond and keeping it free of pesky Michigan mosquitoes. As for the tadpoles, we have enjoyed see them metamorphis into the tiniest little frogs, and hop over the edge.

Last year, we constructed a "Bug" garden, where T.J. and Jili could lift rocks and find crickets, or watch butterflies feast on flowers. This year, we are very behind on the rear gardens, which are very overgrown. Nonetheless, the kids have enjoyed picking vegetables in the vegetable garden, watching the hummingbirds in the Monarda and the tadpoles in the pond, picking black rasperries, catching fireflies, and spying my favorite returning wrens that house at the edge of our vegetable garden. They always make me smile, when they point and say, "Look Mom, there's your bird!" They know how the wren sightings always create an instant smile on my face.
Earlier this week Jili and T.J. picked black rasperries (some ripe and some red), and added them to our freshly squeezed lemonade. It was really awesome lemonade.

After a few days of monotonous house projects (cleaning our oven, reorganizing our basement, and getting rooms ready for painting), I decided that the kids really needed a break from being cooped in the house. Scott was working, so I decided to be a little Paula Deen-ish, as I packed a special picnic basket for three. We packed soft-pretzel-sandwiches with lunch meat and cheese, tropical fruit, fancy cups with tiny umbrellas and orange slices, pickles, brownies, and my new favorite thing: Iced Mason Jars filled with lemonade and orange slices, and unsweetened iced tea with orange slices (both surprisingly good).
Years ago (before I had kids), I bought these fancy glasses, with matching cloth napkins and coasters to occupy my fancy Longaberger picnic basket, but I never used them. My son mentioned not wanting to get the white napkins dirty, and then he asked why I never used them. I explained that I had been saving them for a "Special Occasion". I told them it was pretty silly to buy things so nice, yet never use them. Then, I said, "We using them today, because today is a special occasion. Today, I'm spending the day with you and Jili." And it was special indeed.

Enjoy the small things in your lives. May God Bless you all with small wonders, laughter and appreciation for life's simplest joys.
Jill :)

4 comments:

  1. Great updates guys!! We are avid water gardeners!! In our current home we have the "little bit of grass between the house and the sidewalk to the door from the driveway" area - which is a pain - and is currently also a pond!! One of our koi in the pond survived the move from the last house - puts him at about 15 years or so old now!

    But it is a labor of love - I'm guessing the pond runs about 5000 gallons or so.....maybe a tad bigger than your whisky bbl!!

    Great to catch up on the cardio visit too - happy for you guys!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete