Oh yes, back from vacation and back to reality. Today, we took our black labrador, Bear-Bear, to get a haircut, nail trim, and ear and teeth cleaning. When we took him for his first dog wash this past June, he couldn't wait to get back in the car. When I brought him home from his grooming last June, I had just remembered that his vet needed a urine sample from him to monitor a previous infection. Here I was, chasing my labrador around with a cup, and he was looking at me like I was crazy and running every time I got close to him - all in the back yard, of course. Lo and behold, the Schwann's man showed up. The kids proceeded to tell him that I needed to collect Bear's pee in a cup, and that I was out back. I was utterly humiliated, so I ditched the cup and quickly put Bear in the house. Of course, the kids opened the door and he ran outside while I was placing my order. He jumped straight into the stagnant, smelly creek. Then, he wasted no time rolling in something really BAD. Come to think of it, I never did collect that specimen for the vet.
Today, he embarrassed me again in my sister's neighborhood. We stopped by Leah's house after we picked up Bear. He was a perfect angel at her house - so quiet that we almost forgot he was there. However, I went to let Bear out her back door, and before I could even open the screen door, Bear took the screen door right off, and it crashed onto her deck. Later, the kids ate dinner on her deck and started to play in her back yard. I assumed that he wouldn't run off at her house after giving me the sad eyes, tied to her deck post, but I was wrong. I watched as he ran along the kids in perfect obedience. Yet, as soon as I went in the house, in record time, he connived his way into the neighbor's yard - via the gate - while Leah's neighbor was out mowing the lawn. Thus, he proceeded to go under her deck and squat over her hostas - as her dogs barked from inside the house. I apologized profusely and got a plastic bag to pick up his mess. Luckily, she just laughed. The dog that I was sad to leave behind while we vacationed, found a way to be mischievous once again. Obviously, he doesn't like going to the puppy salon.
Oh well, another crazy day at the Koeppe household. All I know is that he is not shedding in my house right now and he was not home long enough to jump in the creek; and I am going on a day-trip with my sister tomorrow for some good old-fashioned, girly fun. I type this as he lies at my feet, like the faithful companion that I know and love. :)


Sounds like he keeps you on your toes (and maybe he missed normal, everyday life). Have fund with your sister.
ReplyDeleteRuby