"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, March 8, 2010

Sibling Rivalry has set in! Uggh!

The Honeymoon period for T.J. and Jiliang is over for now at least. Yesterday, Jiliang woke up at 5:30 a.m. T.J. was slightly annoyed to awake to awake to her laughter at such an early hour. Then, when he saw how she and Bear Bear, our black lab, had suddenly bonded (by her endless feedings, nonetheless), it was game on. He continued to become irritated with her throughout the morning - not uncommon for siblings, from what I recall.
However, after I posted yesterday, it compounded. He continued to get frustrated with her and complain to her, and she would smile at him so sweetly with those pretty little eyes, as if to say, "I love you Big Brother. You're my hero." Finally, he snapped at her for standing in front of the television. She realized T.J. was unhappy with her, and not playing, and it hurt her feelings. At the same time, Scott came upstairs from the basement at an inopportune time. She started to get a quivery lip. Scott said, "Oh you need to get her Jill." I took her down the hall and a little tear slid down her cheek. Every since then, she hasn't gone to Scott for some reason, and he was just an innocent victim of the wrong place/wrong time. I think she is angry with Big Brother for hurting her feelings, so therefore she is mad at Scott too. I guess it's the girls against the boys in her mind. It is breaking Daddy's heart.
Jiliang and I went to church together while Scott and T.J. visited John Kay and worked on T.J.'s four-wheeler. After church, Jiliang and I went to visit Grandma and Grandpa Harvey at their house. We intended to meet at my house, but the kids destroyed our house, and someone smashed a rice cake cookie on the recliner, so I figured their house was more suitable for a visit.
She really attached to my dad. He was on his way to a Piston's game, so he left just before she warmed enough to smile or laugh for him. T.J. and Scott came later. T.J.'s jealousy and rejection came out full-force when he arrived to see Jiliang playing with Grandma Harvey, Aunt Leah, and doggie, Max. He was even more peeved when he found out that she played with HIS toys, AND in his playroom. My bad. We certainly have some work to do with our boy and girl. T.J. is terribly afraid that his Mei Mei is going to replace him in our family.
Luckily, we talked to the Gleasons, our close friends, and found comfort in knowing that this was a normal progression. I have full faith that my son and daughter will be close playmates again soon. Scott called this morning to report that after he told his fellow firefighters about our dilemma, they all laughed and basically said, "Welcome to the club" as they all went through that stage with their own kids.
Last night, I took T.J. to get ice-cream, after Jiliang retired to bed early. I told him that when Mommies and Daddies get a new child, God makes their heart grow bigger so they can have a place in their heart for each child. T.J. said, "Mom, I think that my heart is bigger now too."
I also told him that I loved him so much, that when I went to China, I even worried that I would not love another child as much as I loved him. I told him that God made my heart bigger, and I loved Jiliang as soon as I met her. I reiterated that I loved him AND Jiliang. We stopped by CVS pharmacy to replace my hair mousse that was confiscated at the Guangzhou Airport 5 days ago, leaving my naturally curly hair unattractively frizzy ever since then. T.J. picked out a cloth headband for Jiliang and some hair clips.
Last night I rocked my boy and sang to him. I asked him if I could still call him my baby, and he replied an unwavering, "Yes!" He asked if I was coming to his Kindergarten musical program (Monday night) and I said, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."
Today, he asked to bring Jiliang to his school to meet his friends and Mrs. Chestney. He also asked if she could wear the Squirrel outfit he picked out for her in January. Of course, she will make her debut at his school in her Squirrel Attire. He is slowly coming around. I look forward to when I hear their laughter in the house together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment