Wow, there have been so many exciting things going on over the last several months: switching to a special education classroom at the preschool this fall; working as a Title One Tutor with elementary students (namely 5th graders), and having to say goodbye :( when I left for China; seeing a picture of our little girl for the first time on November 6th; making it happen (what a roller-coaster ride); going to China; and bringing her home. Then, having her diagnosed with Truncus Arteriosis Type II - a serious heart defect, especially when it should have been repaired at birth; and also discovering that she had a pretty serious skull defect was quite overwhelming, but at the time, we just kept forging ahead.
Going through Jiliang's open heart surgery and seeing my girl sleep in a hospital bed for two weeks without being able to talk to her was pure torture, but we made it through; and on day 24 she came home. Three days later, I returned to work. I went to a new classroom when I returned, and it was so much fun. Yesterday, I said goodbye to those students after only 5 short weeks of knowing them. It was still hard.
Dr. Ohye from Mott's Children Hospital chose us to be a participating family in a Mott's Fundraiser. We filmed our story a few weeks ago, and a fundraiser took place last night to raise money for the hospital. We were excited to be a part of something positive, as Jiliang's experience at Mott's truly gave her a chance at having a long life. We were honored to give back to the people who took a chance on Jiliang and essentially saved our daughter's life. If someone would have told me last year that all of these events and challenges would have taken place these last several months, I would have laughed.
Today was my last day of work. I felt a little sad when I left today, and had that nagging feeling that I was forgetting something. Life is passing so fast, and maybe I feel lost in so much change. I know that the future holds some wonderful blessings, but I am trying to just catch my breath and take everything in. Perhaps, life changes us in ways that doesn't permit us to turn back. Hopefully, we are forever changed for the better, shedding our former skin, and forging ahead with our new take on life. I am looking forward to SIMPLE.
This summer, I still have plans to finish projects around the house, we still have some adoption paperwork and follow-ups to handle, and of course, I plan to write my book. Yet, I am also looking forward to making my life a little more familial. I am looking forward to spending time with my children.
Recently, I have been joking that my kids are getting along too well. T.J. and Jiliang are like having a pair of jokesters. T.J. does anything to get a laugh or a smile from Jiliang, and she wants to do everything T.J. does. T.J. also shows off for Jiliang and every day is full of laughter. Sometimes, after a long day, it is tiring. Therefore, I am looking forward to some much-needed rest, so that I can fully appreciate my kiddos' happiness a little more. After all, is there really such a thing as too happy and too blessed?
All in all, I am just very thankful and very ready for the mundane, everyday stuff. How I live for SIMPLE! After all, I am not off on break because I am taking classes or having a major surgery, I actually get to just enjoy my kids. Look out summer break, here I come!
God Bless You all on this day!
Jill :)


No comments:
Post a Comment