Today, my little boy had his 6th birthday party. He was so eager to share all of his birthday happenings with sister, Jiliang. He wanted to have her help him blow out the candles and open gifts. We just invited the immediate family, because Jiliang is supposed to refrain from large events for several weeks, because her immunity needs to rebuild itself after her open heart surgery.
Usually I plan something exciting each year for T.J.'s birthday, but this year I was just exhausted. We are still recuperating from all of the excitement and chaos from the last 3-6 months with the adoption chaos and paper madness, the exciting trip to China, Jiliang's risky surgery, 3+ weeks in the hospital for recovery, and then going back to work just a few days after her discharge. Things have been very tight financially with me being off for those additional weeks. Thus, I opted for a no-frills, laid-back party for my son, and he loved it, nonetheless. Thus, no fancy paper-plates, and matching party favors and decor. :)
Truly, family is the most important thing. It doesn't really matter what you do, where you go, or how fancy your event. What really matters is that you are together. I couldn't even find the last present that I bought him, and he didn't even care! "Oh well, Mom, you can give it to me later", he said.
After several weeks of leisurely summer play with my kids, I am sure that I will be ready to plan Jiliang's first birthday ever. She turns 4 years old on 8-26-06. Although, it may be a little larger to include my other favorite people (my aunts, uncles, cousins), I guarantee it will contain all of the leisurely comforts of home and family; and hopefully sunshine for the sprinklers, kiddie pools, sidewalk chalk, 4-wheeler rides, and bubble fun. There is nothing like family, barbecues, and simple pleasures in life to make you appreciate life.


No comments:
Post a Comment