"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Catching Fireflies & Funnies

Catching Fireflies:

Monday night, I introduced Jiliang to her first magical evening of catching fireflies. T.J. caught a firefly and showed it to her in the dark and she curiously checked it out.
Last year, T.J. used to beg to keep them, and I would always make him set the fireflies free. Then, I would find them flying around in his room when I would check on him at night, along with a few unlucky ones that never made it out of his pocket.
Last night, T.J., Jiliang and I soaked up the beauty of the little lighting bugs that periodically lit up to create a falling star effect across the backdrop of our wooded back yard. It was all fun and games until we got swarmed by mosquitoes. Then, I stepped in dog poop with my good tennies, and when we ran from a swarm of mosquitoes to the safety of our house, I pulled the sliding screen door straight off its track unto us. One can only laugh.

Embarrassing Moment:

I work in a preschool classroom. Yesterday, we had some potential parents visit our classroom to see if it was the right fit for their child's needs. One of my students needed a little support at circle time, so I bent down near him and squeezed behind him. Just as I was sitting down, he let out a loud, long noise. My colleague said to him, "What do you say?" He said, "Excuse me," and giggled. Some of the other kids began to laugh at him, so I said, "It happens," very non-chalantly, so he wouldn't be embarrassed. He turned to me and said, "Miss Jill, you crack me up!" and smiled.
Later, my co-worker said that she didn't know why he blamed it on me, and I said, "No, he said that because I said, 'It happens'." She didn't hear me say that and joked that the prospective parents probably figured that it was actually me that did it, because I was bending down when it happened. We had a good laugh about it, but how embarrassing!

1 comment:

  1. Nawww - it happens! Here's one for you - catch a firefly, hold it gently so you don't crush it, hold your breath for a few seconds (30 or so maybe), and then blow on the firefly's face....it will make the tail glow brighter! It's a long explaination (has to do with the CO2 in your breath - but it does work most of the time! But it's hard not to squish them!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete