We had such a great day yesterday. We celebrated Jiliang's Birthday yesterday (her actual birthday is 8/26) at our house. Coincidently, it was also her 6 month Gotcha Day, which was the day that she was first put in my arms.
Her party turned out so well, despite a rainy day. I had planned for bubbles and water fun, but we had rain instead. When I planned the party, I was concerned about the heat and humidity, but the weather was perfect, except for the sprinkles. I Also, our tiny little house seemed comfy, as half of our company enjoyed the comforts of our garage and back yard, and some guests visited indoors.
Jiliang was overwhelmed by the crowd. She was very reserved and not sure what to make of the day. She was pleasantly surprised by her Kai Lan cake, but too shy to blow out the candles. We bought six Monarch butterflies from Bird's Butterflies in Temperance, Michigan. The kids all enjoyed releasing them after the rain settled. Jiliang received some wonderful Birthday gifts, and I was hoping for a smile or some inkling of expression, because they were all things that she loved, but she was very straight-faced and quiet, until she got to the last gift, "Kai Lan".
After the crowd lessened, she came out of her shell, and smiled, played and talked. "There's my girl!" I said quietly, glad that a few family members meeting her for the first time could see the real Jiliang. After everyone left, she excited looked at all of her gifts.
As she got ready for bed, I asked, "Whose birthday was it today?" She replied, "Jeanie- ah's Birthday." She said that she had fun. Then, my little China girl, always thinking about fairness said, "Now, I want T.J. have a birthday." She dressed in her new Kai Lan pajamas, and looked in the mirror, saying: "I'm pretty." Then, she layed down and said, "I lub you Mama." We turned on her new Kai Lan nightlight, and off to sleep she went. What an exciting day.


Jill,
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful day. So sweet of her to be concerned about her brother.
Ruby
P.S. She shares her birth day and year with my first grandson-the stars must have been aligned then for very special people to be born.
That is pretty awesome Ruby. What are the chances of that?
ReplyDeleteJill :)
Happy Birthday to a precious little girl. May this next year continue to bless your sweet daughter with all kinds of wonderful "firsts".
ReplyDelete