We haven't received any updates yet.
****However, but one of the things that keeps us sane in our househould is our ability to laugh at life and at our selves. When we spoke to the cardiologists after Jiliang's heart catheterization on Friday, I must have been bracing myself pretty good. However, I was emotionally sound, objective, and hangin' tough through it all. After they were finished, they doctors informed us that they would take us to see Jiliang in Recovery. I got up to follow them, but as soon as I got up, my leg was completely asleep. I don't think that I have ever had it so bad before. We had to stop and pick up our things (my laptop, Jiliang's clothing, reading materials) in the lobby. I was grabbing everything and then my leg totally went tingly and numb.
The doctors were in the hall, politely holding the doors for us. They must thought that I was having an emotional breakdown in the lobby, because they didn't say anything. I told Scott, "Go ahead, leave without me." I felt asinine, like a pansy in a movie, saying "Go ahead, leave me, and save yourself," in one of those high-pitched voices.
Scott took my laptop and ushered me onward, shaking his head at me. The doctors looked at me, as I hobbled on my right leg, and drug my left leg in tow, while trying to do a sprint down the hall towards our daughter. They looked at me strangely, and Scott said, "Her leg fell asleep." They chuckled and continued down the hall as we followed.
******Once I saw Jiliang, in her groggy state of recovery, I scooped her up." The sweet Chinese translator - the one that the catheterization assistant basically forced me to have, even though I had made the original translator request- had been holding her and passed her on to me. I was thankful for the sweet Chinese translator at that point. Her name was also named Alice (not the same translator as our first one, who was also wonderful), and was very kind, helpful and poignant, especially from a medical perspective.
As I held my girl, I got a little teary-eyed. I NEVER cry in front of people!!! I asked Scott for a tissue to dab my eyes. He couldn't find one, so he stood up and got me a paper towel - that worked!
They were people walking by, and staff everywhere, so I couldn't get a moment's peace and have an emotional moment for the life of me. The staff - God love them, they were sweet - were ready to pounce as soon they heard me ask for a tissue. I started to tear up and covered my face so no one would see me cry. The next thing I knew, a nurse was behind me with a box of tissues, and her hand on my shoulder, saying, "It's okay to cry." I remember thinking, "Holy crap, where the Hell did you come from?" Then, she stood and watched as if she just gave me permission to open the dams of my tears. Instead, I thought, "Seriously, lady! That cathartic moment is gone now, and has completely set sail." Not another tear was permitted to be shed, as that opportunity had left me. For me, crying is a healthy release which doesn't happen enough; but that moment had ceased.
Luckily, we laughed about it later; and the nurse and her counterpart turned out to be very helpful indeed. The next time, just the tissues please, and leave me be. :)
****Also, we met with a wonderful social worker, Barb, prior to the procedure. It was a regular protocol, and she provided support and additional resources if needed. She and Alice, the translator, also gave us some information on other similar congenital heart defects that the U of M has repaired for children. We had to provide documentation for her that Jiliang was our adoptive daughter. Seriously, what would she have done if I had said, "Actually, I snuck her out of China in my suitcase..." I was shocked that they didn't ask us for the adoption paperwork when we had her MRI and CT, and she had been anesthetized then.
You have to have a sense of humor on a daily basis, or everything just becomes too serious. I believe that chuckles and belly-laughs each day are the best remedy to avoid being too sedate in the world we live in. It is always helpful when our idiosynchonies in life can also serve as our comic relief.
Here's to comic-filled day!
Jill :)


It's so good that you can keep your sense of humor during all this stress. All these little details are an important part of your daughter's story. We're getting ready to celebrate our daughter's 2 year heart anniversary from UofM. I honestly consider this to be even more exciting than gotcha day because it was the day everything changed for her. I'm thinking of you as you continue to wait for news and next steps for treatment.
ReplyDeleteHugs from another heart mommy!!