"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, April 19, 2010

Surgery Time Tomorrow - Keep Praying

Thank you for your amazing and wonderful prayers and support. They are definitely helping. There are so many people to thank, but I do want to thank Shelley for putting together a prayer group to pray throughout Jiliang's surgery, even in such short notice.
Jiliang needs to be at the hospital tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. We are the second surgery that day. The surgery is scheduled to begin at 11:30, but it depends on what time the first surgery ends. The doctor said that it could take a while to prep her and get her wired up and intubated. That could take another hour. Dr. Ohye thought that he could even be started around 2:30 p.m. In other words, we have no idea, except to say that it will be after 11:30 officially. The surgery, once started, should take approximately 4 hours, unless there is a complication.
The early morning prayers will not be in vain, as she is now extremely nervous of hospitals. As soon as Scott and I left the house with her today, she must have thought, "Oh great, what medical torture awaits me today?" She knows that she is going to be poked and examined. She saw a teenager walk out of the lab after getting a blood draw with a Band Aid on his arm, so she frowned at me and hugged hugged me tight. I told her, "Yes, Jiliang, you are getting one poke here" holding up one finger and pointing to her arm. "Just one." She is a child that cannot be fooled and it's more conducive to just prep her about what is going to occur next.
The surgeon sounds very optimistic and confident that Jiliang would respond well to the surgery. Just a reminder, if you missed it, she does not have Tetralogy of Fallot. She has a more unusual defect called Truncus Arteriosis. They are going to separate her pulmonary and aortic arteries, creating a new pulmonary artery for her. It is amazing what medical advancements have been made in Cardiology over the years, and it will only continue to amaze us more over the next decade or two. After that, they will close her VSD or hole in her heart. The biggest obstacle is her lung pressures. We are praying that the pressures in her lungs begin to decrease. If they do not, then Dr. Ohye may have to open the VSD back up, and our surgery attempt will have been unsuccessful.
If the surgery is successful, and the pressures to the lungs decrease, she will have a chance at a remarkable, full life, like a normal kid, except for replacement conduits as she grows. Dr. Ohye also believes that she could potentially be a candidate for her next conduit in a cath lab in the future. He is also optimistic that Jiliang's heart will accept the changes and continue to thrive and do well, based on the data from her catheterization procedure last Friday; and based on her resiliency and ability to thrive up to this point.
It might be a while before I have a substantial update. I will try to post when she is in surgery and when she is stable. Jiliang will determine the length of her stay in the ICU recovery area, and in her total stay at the hospital in general. We are planning on a couple of weeks at least, but hoping for less.
Keep up the awesome prayers!
Thanks!
Jill

10 comments:

  1. Prayers flowing for your sweet Jiliang and the medical team at UofM. I've posted a reflection on our daughter's open-heart surgery anniversary tonight. I've asked my followers to pray for your daughter. Hugs from the Kenward home!!!

    PS. My cousin Mary works in the cardiac unit at Mott's Children's hospital. She's in charge of the activities/play room for that floor. Once Jiliang is moved to the cardiac unit and is stable enough, I'll make sure Mary comes by with toys and a special sign/blanket for Jiliang. You are in the BEST hands at UofM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you guys tonight... many prayers going up...
    ((hugs))
    Brandee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for the surgery tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today must come with such mixed emotions for your family as you prepare for Jiliang's surgery. I pray that you will be comforted by God's mighty arms and encouraged by every word the doctors speak. I am lifting you up in prayer and asking God to flood your hearts and minds with peace and calm. There is no surgery or problem that is too big for HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jill - new to your blog - followed a prayer request for you guys. We'll be keeping you in our hearts and prayers today - checking back for an update later....hang in there....

    hugs - aus and co.
    http://ausfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill I have everyone I know praying as well so lots of prayers for you guys :)
    Hugs
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for your sweet girl this morning. As are so many. May God heal her little heart.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill! I am up and praying!!! Lord, cover this family with Your Peace, guide the surgeons with Your Percision and bring Your Healing to Jiliang!!! Wish I could be there with you...please know that I am there in spirit.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for your oh so sweet girl! I spent last night reading your whole blog. What a precious treasure she is!!!!!!

    Nancy in CT

    ReplyDelete