"When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows." ~ Unknown Author

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, April 5, 2010

Translator Experience

Jiliang is such a strong-willed little girl. She was so scared when we arrived to Pre-Op. I gave her some medicine to relax her. She fought the drowsiness so hard. Even with the translator there, it was not enough to divert her attention from what unknown torture lied ahead for her.
We had a translator again, who was really sweet, but it was almost a hindrance this time. The last translator was amazing, so Alice was a hard act to follow. Our translator showed up after we were in pre-op, possibly due to a scheduling issue. She did not really understand what was going on medically. We were trying to keep her heart from having a "Tet Spell", which could be serious if it occurred while she was under anesthesia.
Jiliang was comforted by hearing her speak to her in Mandarin, especially when they talked about her bike and her brother. Then, the translator had to take a call, and left. When she came back, it almost made things worse. Our translator today kept giving her too much information. I wanted her to explain that she was not going to get a shot and that Mom was not going to leave. She didn't want to deceive her, and we didn't want her heart to have a serious complication from anxiety. I don't advocate lying, but I am all for a safe procedure; especially when she won't remember it later anyways. I am not sure that I will request another translator, because I can comfort her and communicate with her now; and bring some of her toys. However, if I do have another translator, I will be very clear in the beginning about what I want her to say and why. Afterwards, I thought she was going to wait in the waiting room with us, and I sent her onward. I really some time to think quietly. Don't get me wrong, she was really sweet. It was just a stressful day in general.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the translator experience wasn't everything you hoped it to be. I've been anxiously refreshing your blog. We did our daughter's ToF surgery only 3 weeks after we came home from China. She was a scared wild child but it's all a thing of the past. You'd never know she had frequent Tet spells looking at her now. I pray the same thing happens for your daughter.

    I hope you can all sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jill,
    I know your Jiliang understands you! Just the few hours
    We hung out together, she knew what Mama was saying!
    Follow your gut feelings next time. Or, just have one on call
    If at all possible! Thinking of you and your beautiful
    Daughter, I will continue to pray. And, deep down I
    Know God has a plan for this resiliant little girl you
    Now love so very much! Love and Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete