Watching Big Brother play a Sight Word game
Easter Sunday - Looking for frogs by the creek
We heard back from our cardiologist today!! We received hopeful news! A team of cardiologists and surgeons discussed our daughter's options, and did not stop at one option. I knew that it was a good sign when we didn't hear back from them on Monday. Our doctor informed us that the concensus amongst all of the cardiologists and surgeons was open-heart surgery. There are many risks, as this is not a common surgery. At this time, I would prefer not to openly discuss the risks, as I need to focus on a positive outcome.
If you are reading this, I need you to pray for our little girl. This is the news that we prayed to receive. Now, we pray for a successful surgery and recovery for our daughter. We do not have a surgery date yet, but hope to know soon.
What I didn't mention last Friday (after her heart catheterization), was that our doctor felt that Jiliang was inoperable. He felt that she may have a shortened life span and only time would tell what quality and length of life lied in front of her. I told him that Scott and I wanted a broad range of treatment options for her, from the most conservative to the most aggressive options. I also told him that I didn't want to stand by and watch our daughter deteriorate and die right before our eyes. I felt devastated.
I am usually quite an optimist and Scott is known for being the "cranky" one. In actuality, Scott is a much more positive voice-of-reason in the face of tragedy. His positive attitude held me up this last week. He told me, "Jill, she is here now. Look at that smile. That makes it all worth it." Scott took the approach of appreciating how long she had to live with us, instead of how long she had to die.
Jiliang has endured so much. Only 20% of children with her heart defect live beyond age 1 if unrepaired. She suffered a severe burn, a possible skull trauma, a severe heart defect, abandonment, living in an orphanage in a Third World Country, baldness that predisposes her to sun damage and thermal heat loss. She was scooped up out of a deep sleep and had to travel 3 hours to be handed off to a total, foreign stranger called "Mama", only to run all over China on adoption business, and then fly across the world to live with more foreigners. She is so happy, thriving and doing well; and it is hard to believe that she harbors a serious heart defect. I know that she will do fine, because she has a strong will to live. She's my little hero.
I have prayed and prayed, and asked for answers. Your prayers have reached us, and I am soaking them up. God is good. I am very thankful for this opportunity to repair her heart, and I continue to lean on my faith during this time more than ever. I am hoping for nothing short of a Miracle for my sweet girl. She has come so far, and deserves a long, happy and healthy life.
Jill :)
Riding her bike - a favorite activity
Looking for bugs with Big Brother, T.J.
Finding a spider on the garage
Running off the huge Easter brunch she ate with Grandpa and Grandma Harvey
Hanging out with Big Brother T.J.


Please know that I will continue to pray for your daughter. If you need to talk, please don't hesitate to contact me. We were in your shoes 2 years ago. Having others available to pray with and vent to, helped me get through the stress. Your are in good hands at UofM.
ReplyDeleteHugs!!
I'm so happy for you guys Jill!! My mom called and told me the good news yesterday and I was so happy!! I will continue to pray for you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely wonderful news. An answer to many prayers. So happy for your family!!!
ReplyDeleteAHHHHHHH!!!!!! This is wonderful!!!!!!!!! Praise God!!! I know that open heart surgery is still a big hurdle but praise God that it is an option!!!!! Praying already for the right surgeon and surgical team!!!
ReplyDelete